History and arquitecture

Architecture Finance House

The “Casa Hacienda Shismay” located at the heart of the Peruvian Andes and only 17 Km away from Huánuco City is a place full of history, traditions and legends.

This majestic building was built by Tyrolese immigrants, who arrived in Peru in 1857 on their way to Pozuzo. These immigrants stayed in Shismay from September 1858 to 2 of July 1859. At that time the house was owned by the Arrieta family.

This property later was owned by Mariano Ignacio Prado former president of Peru (1865-1868 and 1876- 1879), the Debarbiery and the Ingunza family.

Since 1924 the Hacienda Shismay belonged to Don Javier Rolando Tello. He built the road, connecting his estate with the city of Huánuco and transformed Shismay into the largest diary and beef supplier in the region.

On 8 September 1979, due to the Agricultural Reform, ownership of the estate went to the hacienda workers and their families. They organized themselves as a community and took the name of “San Sebastián of Shismay” in honour of the patron saint
The members of the community looked after this massive building for many years, but eventually due to the deepening economic crisis the house was left to ruin.

In March 2004, the community of San Sebastián of Shismay received a generous private grant for the restoration of the Casa Hacienda and conversion of the hacienda warehouses into suitable accommodation for tourism.

On July 2008 The National Institute of Culture, declared Casa Hacienda Shismay a “National Monument”, thus becoming part of the National Peruvian Heritage.

The income from tourism is invested in improving the quality of life of the community.


The “casa Hacienda Shismay” is a majestic sight, built on the top of a hill on a massive stone platform supported by 12 retaining walls eight metres height. At the base of this platform is a wonderful garden. The extensive views from the Casa Hacienda Shismay extend to the entire valley.

The major architectural feature of the “Casa Hacienda Shismay” is its arches which form a wide corridor at the front of the house. This corridor connects to the chapel that houses a gilded colonial Altar.

As with others Andean buildings, the tilled roof is supported by massive eucalyptus trunks in order to withstand heavy rains. The walls, columns and stairs were built using stones and mud, providing strength to the building.

The second floor consists of store rooms where the products of the hacienda’s vast lands were kept.